By, Kiara Donaire (Courtesy of the Food and Nutrition class)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of whole milk
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup of peeled and seeded butternut squash (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually add in milk. Bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to simmer until the sauce has thicken. Keep in mind to whisk slightly often, about 5 minutes. Then add nutmeg. If not to your liking, add some salt and pepper.
- Mix mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Get your heavy whipping cream and use an electric mixer to whip your cream until peaks form. Then add 1/2 tsp of salt. Blend again to have the salt thoroughly mix into the cream. Set aside.
- Lightly butter 8×8 baking pan. Spread 1/4 cup of sauce into pan. Cover the bottom with a layer of lasagna noodles. Place 1/4 of squash cubes onto layer. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese mixture and drizzle 1/4 of sauce over the cheese. Repeat until you completed your layers. Top your lasagna with the cream you made earlier and sprinkle remaining cheese.
- Tightly cover baking pan with foil and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove foil and broil until top is golden brown. Take it out and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Then enjoy!