By Amber and Mariam
- Amour – A French film about a husband caring for his wife of 60 years after she suffers two strokes. In the final months of her life, their relationship is changed forever.
- Argo –Six Americans takes refuge in the Canadian embassy after being held hostage in Tehran. A U.S. government agent devises a rescue plan that involves making a fake film, shooting scenes in Iran
- Beasts of the Southern Wild –Set in an isolated Louisiana swampland known as the Bathtub, a young girl and her father struggle to face a flood disaster in their community. The young girl’s liveliness keeps spirits high.
- Lincoln –President Lincoln’s fight to pass the 13th amendment and end slavery, facing opposition from many quarters in congress. Set during the end of the Civil War, Lincoln uses his vast political power to gain allies in his fight.
- Life of Pi –Young Pi, the son of a zookeeper, is shipwrecked and finds himself alone on a lifeboat which is also refuge to a huge Bengal tiger. The movie follows their journey at sea as they struggle to survive.
- Silver Linings Playbook –Pat Solatano is released into his parents’ care after eight months of treatment for a bipolar disorder. He stops taking his medication and becomes increasingly obsessed with winning back his estranged wife, which leads him to meet a young woman whose husband has died.
- Les Miserables –A musical set in the early 19th century about a man named Jean Valjean who is imprisoned for 20 years for simply stealing a loaf of bread to give to his sickly sister. He escapes and finds a new life as a mayor of a small town.
- Django Unchained –German bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz buys a slave named Django and promises him his freedom if he helps him track down the criminals he is seeking. Django has a wife who was sold off years ago, and he hopes the search may offer him a chance to find her.
- Zero Dark Thirty –In the aftermath of 9/11, as the trail in the hunt for Osama bin Laden seems to grow cold, a determined CIA agent begins a decade-long search for the Al Qaeda leader.
Predictions: “Argo” has taken the lead for Best Picture having won the title at the Critics’ Choice Awards, Golden Globes and with the Producers Guild as well. However, there are a few reasons a different film could take the award this year. Only three times in the Oscars 85 year history has a film won Best Picture without its director being nominated for the Best Director award as well, and Ben Affleck was not nominated this year. “Lincoln” was the highest grossing movie at the box office and its director, Steven Spielberg is also up for Best Director. It will be a close race, and either movie could take the title.
- Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook
- Daniel Day Lewis – Lincoln
- Hugh Jackman – Les Miserables
- Joaquin Phoenix – The Master
- Denzel Washington – Flight
Predictions: Daniel Day-Lewis will go home with an Academy Award on February 24th. He’s up for three and his amazing performance as the President in “Lincoln” has earned him Best Actor for sure.
- Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
- Quvenzhané Walli – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
- Naomi Watts – The Impossible
- Jessica Chastain –Zero Dark Thirty
Predictions: We predict that Jennifer Lawrence will take the Oscar for Best Actress. She won both the Golden Globe, and the SAG award for Best Actress, which is a good indication she will win the Oscar as well.
- Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
- Chrisoph Waltz – Django Unchained
- Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
- Alan Arkin – Argo
- Robert De Niro – Silver Linings Playbook
Predictions: We predict that Tommy Lee Jones will take the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his favorable role in Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones has been nominated many times for an Academy Award, but has only won once, for the same category in 1994.
- Amy Adams – The Master
- Anne Hathaway – Les Miserables
- Sally Field – The Master
- Helen Hunt – The Sessions
- Jacki Weaver – Silver Linings Playbook
Predictions: We predict that Anne Hathaway will take the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her great performance in “Les Miserables”. Anne Hathaway has been a favorite among The Academy, and there is no competition for her amazing performance.
ANIMATED FEATURED ITEM
- Wreck-it Ralph
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Predictions: We predict that Brave will win Best Animated Feature in this year’s Academy Awards. Brave is a heartwarming animated picture about a princess who faces trouble and tribulations because she did not listen to her mother, who always knows best. This picture was a major hit in the Box Office, enjoyed by all ages.